Pages

Chapter 1: The Family of Tree Countries

It was a nice Monday morning for me; the sun was shining brightly and the wind was blowing softly, a perfect day to start a new adventure in life. Naturally I don’t like Mondays because it’s the start of schooling days and long lectures and crowded cafeteria but today is different, I don’t know why but I think it will be a perfect day for me.

That’s what I thought. When my mom called, things get a little bit out of hand.

~RIIIIIIIINGGGGGG!

My phone is ringing somewhere inside my room. I don’t want to get it at first coz I thought it’s just Ichiro trying to wake me up. I’m on the kitchen by the way, preparing my breakfast.

~RIIIIIIINGGGGGGGGGGGG!

~RIIIIINNNNNNNGGGGGGGG!!

“God Ichiro! Stop it already!” while frying the hotdogs.

~RIIIIINNNNNNNGGGGGGGG!!

~RIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGGG!!!

I decided I should pick up the phone and shout at Ichiro for ruining my perfect morning.

“Ichiro if you hang up on me, I sure will kill you later at class!” I said angrily while walking towards my room.
I searched my room for my phone while it is ringing. My room is not that big but because there’s nothing much in it, it looks big but now it’s a little bit messy coz I haven’t cleaned my room since class started last week.

~RIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGG!!

“Yah Ichiro just keep calling! Where are you stupid phone you?!”

Then I finally grabbed something smooth under my pile of dirty clothes in the corner. I flipped the phone and shouted.

“YAH! ICHIRO! WANNA DIE?!”

“Oh God! Is that what you’ve learned in Japan?!” a familiar voice said from the phone.

“Mom?!?” I shockingly replied. I was surprised it was my mum, she haven’t called for the longest time so I didn’t even expect it was her calling.

“Wha – Why are you calling??”

“I’m such a terrible mom! My son wants to kill me! Waaaahhh~” that’s what I’ve heard over the phone with my mom doing that in her melodramatic way.

“Mom! Shut up! It’s not you, it’s Ichiro. I thought you’re Richard who’s been bugging me every morning.” I replied back annoyingly.

“Sure??” she replied in a babyish tone.

“Yes!”

“I have a surprise for you!” she said enthusiastically. I don’t know if she’s bipolar or something but she can change mood so quickly that even if you’ve known her for the longest time you’ll still be surprised in how she can change her mood that quickly.

“Mum, you know I hate surprises. I don’t like the idea of being surprised at all.” A little annoyed but I’m fine. I walked back to the kitchen to finish what I’m doing – cooking.

“Hahaha! It’s different Hiro. You’ll love it!”

“I don’t really know mom, you know I really REALLY don’t like those kind of stuff.” I just have to make that point that I don’t like surprises. It’s just that I don’t like the feeling of be anxious or something. I just don’t like the idea.

“I’ve told you, you’ll love it” She replies.

“Is it the only reason why you called??” I replied while stuffing my mouth with hotdogs.

“Yes! Hahahaha! Do you have school for today?” she asked.

“Yeah. It’s Monday. I wish I don’t coz I think it’s a nice day to go out somewhere and have a nice walk” I answered. Even if sometimes I really don’t like being with my mom coz she’s irritably carefree, I really miss her. I miss her company, I miss her voice, I miss her scent, and I miss how she tries to make me good breakfast and ended up burning all the food she had prepared for me.

I’m all alone in here in Japan, been here for 3 years now, my last year in senior years. My mum sent me here to study high school and hopefully college. My mum said before dad died he requested that I should be educated at his homeland, Japan. I thought mum is coming with me but I was wrong. She said she can’t come to Japan coz the Miyagi family hated her for stealing their only boy. I didn’t ask for details of the story because I know nothing will change if I knew. The Miyagi family banished my father and vowed that they will never accept his offspring from my mom so I didn’t expect I have somewhere to stay while I’m in Japan. Luckily I have a friend from kindergarten that helped me find an apartment near my school in Tokyo.

“Mom you better tell me what’s on you right now?” I asked just to make the conversation longer and for me to remember her voice.

“If I tell you it’s not a secret anymore. Hahahaha” she said teasingly.

“Mom! I have no time for this. Please.” I pleaded. It really bugs me you know. If you want to give me a surprise better not tell me that you have a surprise coming or I’ll bug you until you die.

“Alright! Hehehe You know mom can’t keep her secrets right. Hahaha.” She said while giggling.

“Your sisters are coming!” She shouted

“WHA – WHAT?!?!” I shockingly replied and blew all the juice from my mouth to the table. “Aisht!”

“Your sisters are coming!” she answered gigglier than before

“Sisters?! What on earth are you saying mom?! Sisters?! I don’t have sisters!!! MOM!!! ARE YOU JOKING?” I shouted while wiping my face. I don’t know why am I slightly annoyed when she said that my sisters are coming, I don’t even know I have a sister much more sisters!

I know my mom has so many secrets before that I didn’t even bother to ask but I didn’t expect that this secret will randomly affect my life. I mean, I have a secret sibling some where out there with out me knowing it!

“You have! hahaha. They are coming right now so be good to them, ok? Bye!” she said hurriedly and 
dropped the phone right after.

“Right now?! Mom! MOM?! ? MOOOM!!!....” and then I heard the door bell ring.

~DING DOONG!

“Tsk! Who is it?!” I walked towards the door while dialling my mom’s number, I still need some clarification about the joke she just said but the answers appeared right in front of my door steps.

When I opened the door I was shocked by what I saw. I saw a very beautiful lady. I know I really suck at describing but she’s really beautiful even with her simple attire of red trench coat and dark brown scarf.  Her presence is so heavenly, she’s glowing and I can really feel a very angelic aura from her. I don’t know if time stops or I was just paralyzed by the apparition I just saw and then suddenly all came back to me.

Hello? My name is Anne, Anne Grey. Are you Miyagi Hiro?” the lady asked with her British accent.

Ah… Ye.. Yes. I’m Miyagi Hiro.” I don’t know why I am stuttering but maybe because I’m not used to hearing people speaking in English anymore not to mention with an accent.

Oh I’m so glad to finally meet you!” She said while grabbing my hand and shaking it crazily but with poise. 

I’m your sister Anne Grey from England.”

“Say what?!” I replied back and stopped the shaking of our hands.

Your older sister, I’m your sister from England. Didn’t mom tell you I’m coming?” she said with a smile on her face. Man! Her smile! It’s so heavenly. If what is she saying is true then I’m a big looser. Everyman will be excited to see a beautiful lady in front of his doorsteps but the fact that she’s my sister ruins it all.

“Oh wait! Wait WAIT!!! Sister?! My Sister!? From ENGLAND!!!!” I let go of our hands and I started to walk backwards. I want to close the door but I just couldn’t. It won’t reset everything anyways.

“Man!! Are you playing jokes with me? I know you look like an angel and won’t seem to say 
something like a lie but please stop playing jokes with me.” I said while pointing all of her.

“Hahaha! You’re a funny man. I’m not joking silly.” She said with a very big laugh. Her smile! She better stop smiling or I will fall for her. “Ahm… May I come in?”

“Ah yeah… s…sure.” I answered. I even helped her carry her luggage inside my house. I don’t know what’s on with me actually. She doesn’t feel like others, it’s like I’ve know her but I just couldn’t remember.

“Thank you! You’re quite a gentleman. It’s rare to find someone like you. Hahaha” She said as she walks inside my house. “May I?” She said while standing next to the sofa.

“Wait! Before you sit down could you explain to me EVERYTHING!!!!!” I said as I put down her suitcase.

“As much as I want to but I can’t” she said. “I just got a call from mom that I need to go here in Japan to meet my brother and sister.”

“So you don’t have any idea what’s going on too?” I said as I put her shoulder bag on the chair beside me and then she smiled again. I don’t know if that smile means yes or she wants to sit down.  “Oh! Please sit down. I’m sorry.” If smiles can kill I’ve probably been killed with my head smashed into million peaces by her smile bullets.

“Thank you.” She said with a smile again. As she sits down she suddenly got up again like there’s something she forgot, well she did forgot something. “My coat! I’m sorry. Hahaha. Where should I put my coat?” She said while taking off her red trench coat.

“It’s ok. Put it anywhere.” I said while waving my hand to signal she could put in anywhere. I just stared at her as she takes it off. Oh! Don’t take me wrong, I’m not a pervert, it’s just that you can’t help but to stare at as the heavenly figure undress in front of you. OK! That just sounds so wrong but I think you got my point.

“Thank you. As I was saying, mom just called me in England to say that I need to go here so I could meet my siblings she didn’t say anything else besides that. ” She said as she folded her coat vertically and put it on the sofa’s back rest. “You seem to be more shocked than me though. Didn’t you know that I’m coming?”   And then she smiled again. I just couldn’t take it anymore.

“Would you please stop smiling!! I’m having a heart attack here!!” As I look at her she seems to very shock with what I’ve just said. Well her smile is very hypnotic that’s why I need to stop myself from falling for it.

“I’m sorry”  her only reply as she looks down.

“Well actually, to tell you the truth I didn’t know that you even exist.” I said. I don’t want to sound rude but I just need to get to the point. “Mom just called me this morning and said that my sisters are coming and then that’s it, she dropped the phone.”

“Oh I see, well… uhm… mom didn’t tell you about us?” she said. I can sense there’s sadness on her sentence.

“Well mom is full of secrets maybe she expects me to know but I’m too preoccupied to even bother?” I just said that to make her comfortable but I clearly don’t have any idea I have a sibling somewhere.

“Well anyways where’s our sister?” she asked as she looks around the house from the sofa.

“Sister?!” and then it shook me. Mom said sisters; with an S, there’s another one!

~DING DOOOOOONG!!

~DING DONG DING DONG DING DOOOOOOONG!!!

“IS SHE IT?!!” we gasp. We both stood up from sitting when we heard the doorbell rang.

“I’ll get it.” I insisted and then I saw her nod. I rushed towards the door while the door bell is screaming. The person pressing my doorbell seems like wanna kill my ear coz he keeps pressing it like no tomorrow.

When I reached the door I took a deep breath before opening it and I can hear Anne’s footstep right behind me. As I was reaching for the knob I can clearly see that my hands are shaking crazily. I don’t know if I’m shaking because I don’t know who’s behind the door or the fact that when I open the door a surprise same as the first one will appear or even worse!

I’m having a second thought. Will I open it or I’ll just pretend that there’s no one home but the singing of the door bell really kills my ears. My hands are still shaky. Man! Mom should have a pretty good reason for hiding this craziness from me. A while ago I’m thinking about how I miss her and now I’m thinking how could I strangler her and make her spit out all of her dark secrets from the past.

“Is there something wrong? I can open the door for you if you want.” Anne immediately said after arriving at the door. I didn’t even noticed she already arrived.

“Oh shoot!” I was shocked. I slammed my back on the door facing her. “No! It’s ok. I – I can handle.. I mean I can do this.” I replied stuttering while looking like a terrified man. Well actually I was shocked coz I’m spacing out before she came and surprised me.

BANG!!

The door was forcefully opened with a big slam at my back that I was thrown right in front of Anne.

“HIROOOOOO!!! WHAT’S GOINGON THERE???!!!!!!!!” Ichiro yelled as he rushed towards the room.

“ICHIROOOO!!!?!?!?”  I shouted. I don’t know what to feel that time, I’m experiencing a sudden mix emotion inside me; YES it’s Ichiro, NO he’ll see Anne, and MAN! ICHIRO THAT HURTS!

“EEHHHHHHH?!?!?!” Ichiro said with a shocked but funny face while pointing at Anne. I think he didn’t even notice I was there on the floor because he smacked the door in front of me.

Hello there. I’m Anne, nice to meet you.” Anne said while bowing down and also with her signature smile, well of course in British English.

“EEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!” Ichiro replied with a more shocked expression. I think I’m enjoying the view down below, seeing Ichiro’s expression with such perspective view and clearness. But then I realize; how the hell would I explain Ichiro this, and then it hit me – SCHOOL!

“OH SHOOT ICHIRO WE’RE LATE FOR SCHOOL” I shouted as I stand up from the ground.
I run towards the living room which is 10 walk steps away and run back to the door and grabbed Ichiro’s hand away towards the stairs down the apartment.

“Come on Ichiro! We’re late!” I said as the both of us go down the stairs of the apartment building.

“See you at school Hiro-chan” I heard Anne said that as we go down.

“What the hell is that Hiro?!” Ichiro asked as I drag him down the stairs. “Who’s the girl? She can speak royal English!”

As I’m about to reply to Ichiro’s question a very cute lady passed by running towards my floor that keeps saying “ Nyapi! Nyapi! Nyapi! Nyapi! Chuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu~~~”

“What was that?” Ichiro asked as we stop at the third floor stair way of my apartment building.

“I have a very bad feeling about that one.” I replied as I stare at the fourth floor.

As we walk down the stairs I’m thinking if all is just a dream, if all that had happened back in my apartment is all a dream and I’m still sleeping and just dreaming. I’m thinking when will I wake up, when will all this thing will end. I keep slapping my face as we walk towards the bus station. I wish I wake up soon. I wish this is just a dream coz Anne’s words keeps bugging me since she said them.

See you at school Hiro-chan!”

No comments:

Post a Comment